Sunday, October 19, 2008

Feel Like Chicken Tonight?

Pastor Charles is doing a good job taking care of us here in Ghana. Two of the greatest risks for dysentery and such are water and food...kind of necessities for life. The water is actually pretty clean to the eye. But there are tiny little nasty creepy crawlies in it waiting to attack my intestines (now that's a visual picture). So, needless to say it is bottled water only. Actually, I've drank some pop - 4 or 5 - which I pretty much never do ordinarily.

Food -
Breakfast is usually tea, jam and WHITE bread, which I never eat at home. Sometimes we have a fried egg with bread.

There are some interesting foods here - fufu, bangku, shito (yes that's right), red-red, Ghanaian sauce, ground nut (peanut) soup, etc. Most of them would make us quite ill apparently. However, I have eaten ground nut soup and this trip we have eaten red-red and shito... (dangerous ground I'm treading here).

Red red is actually fried plantaine. Shito is dried shrimp and herring ground up and combined with a type of gravy (garlic, ginger, onion,) and ground hot dried peppers. It sounds gross, but it is actually quite tasty and hot on rice.

So, overall, I've just been eating lots of chicken and fried rice and veggies for which I am very thankful.

We are eating well and enjoying ourselves. I may go on a chicken fast when I get home though...

2 comments:

Heather K said...

hmmm that food sounds...interesting Craig! I guess you have to eat though don't you....kind of a neccesary thing! Well I hope things are going well for you...Did you get my email?
take care.
:)

Anonymous said...

watch out for that white bread :D