Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm Proud...

of my niece Samantha! I love her. She is someone who is passionate, kind, loud, loving (and a bit kooky at times :)) One thing she is not though is apathetic!!

I opened my newspaper to read this today...

A Comox Valley teenager is using chocolate bars and bracelets to do her part to stop the scourge of slavery.

Samantha Millar, a 16-year-old Courtenay girl, sprung into action when, during a series of sermons on social justice at her church, she found out that there are an estimated 27 million people still in bondage across the globe.

"Basically for every person we see in Canada, that's somebody in slavery," said Millar. "That's impossible to imagine. I think that we've really lost respect for people and people have just become a product.


Way to go, Dolly! I honour you for speaking up for those that can't speak for themselves. You're an inspiration to us old foggies - and the young ones too!

You can read the rest of the story here

1 comment:

samanthamillar said...

thanks, puncle. passion must run in the family or something. . . ;)