Monday, September 22, 2008

Do you drink these things?

I've never been able to get into the new craze around energy drinks. Most of them taste like cough syrup to me. When I was in college we made our own energy drink - Coke Classic and strong black coffee mixed together - yech! But it worked! This new energy drink might be over the top...


Cocaine energy drink that claims to have a kick similar to that of the illegal drug by the same name. Redux Beverages says it contains more caffeine than any other energy drink.


Cans of energy drinks can contain about as much as or sometimes considerably more caffeine than a cup of coffee, in a sugary, chilled form that appeals to children who are unlikely to savour a bitter-tasting mug of coffee. Teenagers often down two or three of the drinks in quick succession.
On top of such well-known side effects as jittery, anxious behaviour and insomnia, large volumes of caffeine can lead to vomiting and headaches. And for the minority of people with cardiac-rhythm problems, it can also cause the heart to beat erratically, with potentially dangerous consequences.


Be careful what you're drinking. Methinks I'll be sticking with my decaf Americano...

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Good advice..to stay away from these energy drinks.

Heather K said...

I never thought about kids not drinking caffeinated coffee because it's bitter, but drinking these instead..yikes! I got an email that talks about kids mixing them with alcohol and having deadly consequences. I think I'll keep drinking my black tea!