Friday, September 19, 2008

What's it For?

I'm going through Isaiah in my devos right now. I was reading in chapter 11 where it talks prophetically about Jesus. Before I get into it, I recently read a quote in a book by Leonard Sweet, who challenged me with a thought "Whatever the Bible applies to Jesus applies to me". Not sure how far to take that but it was in my thoughts as I read.


Back to it... v.2-4 say how He was given the spirit of wisdom and understanding, of counsel, might, knowledge and respect (fear) of the Lord. He was given all that why? So that he wouldn't make life decisions or judgements based on what he sees or hears, but with a 'rightness' that only God can lead us into. His life decisions would be based on how he could be (v.4) giving justice for the poor and the needy.

Sooo, if that is what God gave Jesus all those resources for, what about me? Everything that God gives me is to be stewarded to help bring justice and speak up for the poor and needy. As I heard someone say recently, "I'm going to ruthlessly do the thing i do to help those in need."

As I look at making decisions that are life impacting and directing, I have to ask myself how can this decision, my gifts, my talents help me bring justice to and speak up for the poor and needy?

No comments: